England were bowled out for Fifty eight – their sixth lowest Take a look at total – on the key day of the Take a look at series in New Zealand.
Playing their first Take a look at since shedding the Ashes Four-0 in Australia, England were brushed off in 20.Four overs in an hour and 35 minutes at Eden Park, Auckland.
They slipped to 27-9 sooner than quantity 9 Craig Overton’s unbeaten 33 took them previous their outdated lowest total of 45.
Trent Boult took 6-32 and Tim Southee Four-25 as 5 batsmen made geese, equalling England’s epic.
New Zealand reached 88-1 at dinner within the key-day night Take a look at to be performed within the country, with captain Kane Williamson unbeaten on 59.
Boult, in explicit, and Southee capitalised on swinging prerequisites with the pink ball after New Zealand won the toss.
However the methodology of England’s batsmen was once horribly uncovered, with Brand Stoneman the supreme various player to keep double figures.
The tourists grew to change into easiest the fifth aspect to be bowled out within the key session of a Take a look at.
Broken-down England spinner Graeme Swann instructed BBC Take a look at Match Particular: “Or no longer it has been dreadful from ball one. Too many were out enjoying ethereal fairy drives.
“It was once a ideally gracious storm and it felt unstoppable. It felt admire there was once going to be a wicket every ball.”
England drew both two-day warmth-up suits sooner than the two-Take a look at series, having performed four Twenty20s in Australia and New Zealand and 5 one-day internationals in New Zealand since the Ashes ended in January.
BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew mentioned: “Or no longer it is a have to deserve to gawk on the dearth of preparation. Here is rusty. Alastair Cook dinner was once out lambing about a weeks ago.
“Don’t blame the must haves. Don’t blame the pink ball. There were a quantity of mistakes made by England’s batsmen.
“Nearly the full batsmen are strolling after enjoying a shot. These are technical errors. Or no longer it is free cricket.”
|England’s lowest Take a look at totals|
|45 v Australia, Sydney, 1887|
|forty six v West Indies, Port of Spain, 1994|
|fifty one v West Indies, Kingston, 2009|
|fifty two v Australia, The Oval, 1948|
|53 v Australia, Lord’s, 1888|
|Fifty eight v New Zealand, Auckland, 2018|
|Lowest totals in Take a look at cricket|
How the crumple unfolded
- 6-1: Cook dinner c Latham b Boult 5 – no foot saunter and edges outswinger to second recede
- 6-2: Root b Boult 0 – captain has his off stump knocked assist as he shapes to power one that swings assist between bat and pad
- Sixteen-Three: Malan c Watling b Boult 2 – drawn forward by Boult and Watling takes ravishing diving settle in front of first recede
- 18-Four: Stoneman c Watling b Southee eleven – one other batsman no longer shifting his toes, one other edge to Watling
- 18-5: Stokes b Boult 0 – assist within the aspect after lacking the Ashes, Stokes is crushed by a ravishing transport that clips the pause of off stump
- 18-6: Bairstow c&b Southee 0 – driving on the up and smartly taken in Southee’s apply-thru
- 23-7: Woakes b Boult 5 – forward defensive, performed on the toddle, is crushed by one other inswinger
- 23-eight: Moeen b Southee 0 – a 0.33 batsman of the innings is bowled, Moeen inexplicably lacking a low elephantine toss
- 27-9: Colossal c Williamson b Southee 0 – captain takes sensational one-handed settle, diving high to his left at gully, as Colossal departs with a wry smile
- Fifty eight all out: Anderson c Nicholls b Boult 1 – fends brief ball to gully