Tottenham produced an even comeback to design at Juventus after a disastrous birth to their Champions League last-sixteen first leg in Turin.
Mauricio Pochettino’s facet had been 2-0 down interior 10 minutes after Gonzalo Higuain adopted up a luxurious volley with a penalty, awarded for Ben Davies’ unsuitable on Federico Bernardeschi.
Harry Kane started the fightback after rounding Gianluigi Buffon following Deli Alli’s threaded scoot and Higuain then overlooked a penalty for the hosts with the last kick of the major half of, following Serge Aurier’s downhearted arena on Douglas Costa.
Spurs dominated possession against the Italian champions and bought their reward when Christian Eriksen’s low free-kick steer clear off Buffon to provide Spurs the edge going into the 2nd leg at Wembley on 7 March.
Involving Spurs label European mettle
Pochettino’s facet aloof have work to produce to overcome Juve in three weeks’ time.
But this efficiency, on top of wins over Precise Madrid and Borussia Dortmund in the neighborhood stage, offered additional proof that Spurs are continuing to develop in this competition with every game.
Juv had now not conceded a purpose in 2018 ahead of this match yet Pochettino could be wary his gamers cannot have sufficient money to birth the 2nd leg esteem they did in Italy.
In a pulsating game, Tottenham had been a purpose in the back of interior two minutes after Miralem Pjanic’s chipped free-kick caught out the guests’ defence and Higuain beat Hugo Lloris with a good end.
Spurs appeared anxious and their evening went from sinful to worse when Higuain doubled the lead from the sphere after Davies introduced down Bernardeschi.
However the Premier League facet then produced a comeback that can are residing prolonged in the memory of their travelling supporters.
First Kane had a header saved from all by the six-yard box by Buffon, however the England striker used to be now not to be denied for prolonged, beating the previous keeper with a aloof end after Alli’s scoot.
Alli headed over when he must have scored ahead of Eriksen used to be denied by Buffon as Spurs peppered the Juve purpose.
The turning point arrived on the stroke of half of-time when Higuain hit the bar from the penalty field.
Lloris produced a handsome build from Bernardeschi after the interval but Tottenham bought the reward their laborious-work deserved when Eriksen scored from a suite-fragment.
Within the end, Spurs had 12 photography – half of of them heading in the ample direction – and 67% of possession, whereas half of of Juve’s four photography in the gap 45 minutes had been from the penalty field.
Will Spurs end the season with a trophy?
Tottenham are truly unbeaten in Thirteen league and cup video games, as the exchange end of the season looms. As successfully as the Champions League, they’re aloof in the FA Cup and are chasing a top-four end in the Premier League.
This gritty display against the two-time champions of Europe will with out a doubt give Spurs momentum going into a crucial spell of video games.
Pochettino said his crew had “stepped up” as the urge-in begins.
“We’re more worn now,” he added after this handsome comeback. “Within the outdated few weeks, the crew are growing and have stepped up. It is a true instance of the ability we have.
“The crew used to be suitable in how they reacted. You will want some fair right fortune always in soccer. The tie is birth, Juventus are a big crew. We have got the hope we can spend in Wembley.”
Man of the match – Christian Eriksen (Tottenham)
Spurs invent ancient previous at the Allianz Stadium – the stats
- Tottenham are the major crew to overturn a two-purpose deficit at the Allianz Stadium since Juventus moved there in 2011.
- Juve are unbeaten of their previous six Champions League house video games against English facets.
- The Italian club failed to spend a Champions League house game after being two or more goals ahead for the ample the 2nd time.
- Earlier than Harry Kane’s purpose, Gianluigi Buffon had now not conceded a purpose for 694 consecutive minutes for Juventus and Italy (last conceding against Sweden in November).
- Kane has equalled the story for the most goals scored by an English player in a single Champions League season (seven), stage with Steven Gerrard in 2008-09.
- The England world has scored 9 goals in 9 Champions League appearances – the most of any player after 9 video games.
- Dele Alli has offered 19 assists for Kane for club and country.
- Gonzalo Higuain has scored four goals in his previous four Champions League knockout stage video games – double the quantity in his outdated 24 knockout matches.
Tottenham have three video games ahead of they host Juventus in the 2nd leg at Wembley. They’re at League One Rochdale in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday (sixteen:00 GMT) ahead of their subsequent Premier League game at Crystal Palace on 26 February and a house match with Huddersfield on three March.